What if I told you that you could prevent wrinkles, increase your brainpower, protect your vision, control your appetite, get youthful glowing skin, and even fight cancer just by eating more of a certain food? The list of the nutritional benefits from spinach goes on and on. Here’s just a few reasons why spinach should be a staple in your diet, and some ways to include it.
Diet- Calorie for calorie, the amount of fiber and protein on top of the significant amounts of vitamins and minerals in spinach, with the low calorie impact of only 7 calories per cup, makes spinach one of the best lunch time options for someone on a diet. The nutrients in this green leafy vegetable also maintain blood sugar levels, thus curbing your appetite and preventing overeating.
Vision – The amount of eye-health-promoting lutein and zeaxanthin are especially high in this super food. Both these antioxidants can help to protect and defend your eyes from cataracts and macular degeneration.
Skin – With high amounts of antioxidants, vitamin E, beta-carotene, vitamin C, and especially vitamin A, you can fight wrinkle reaping free radicals and boost your skins ability to absorb moisture, to give yourself a youthful glow.
BrainPower – By protecting the nervous system from oxidative damage, the vast amount of antioxidants found in spinach might be able to help fight age-related cognitive decline as well as improve your memory function. Some studies have even found that spinach leaves contain certain chemicals that send signals to opioid receptors in your brain, increasing your mood and ability to ward off depression.
strong>Cancer – There have been countless studies that show that a diet high in spinach can ward off cancer by fortifying the cancer-fighting cells in your body and by inhibiting inflammation. Researchers believe it’s the combination of phytonutrients, omega-3 fatty acids and the rich supply of minerals and vitamins that do the trick.
Spinach is one of the easiest foods to cook with. You can toss it into any hearty dish for an extra boost of health or you can add a few flavorful ingredients and eat it all on its own. Here’s a few ways to include more of popeye’s favorite food into your daily diet.
- Start your day off right by making a green smoothie. It sounds weird but if you add a banana and some berries you won’t even notice the spinach.
- If you’re scared to try the smoothie, saute some spinach, onions and peppers and throw the mix into a cheese omelette for a filling power meal.
- Take your pasta or pizza to a new level by sauteing some spinach with olive oil and garlic before adding it on top of a pizza or mixed in with your pasta sauce.
- Make a simple side dish by sauteing spinach like you would as stated above. Just make more than you would for a pizza or pasta dish.
- Swap out your iceberg lettuce for some spinach and make your favorite salad.
- Prepare the ingredients for lasagna but add a few layers of spinach.
Once you get going, it’s hard to find ways not to eat spinach. And with all the added health benefits there’s no reason you shouldn’t.
Tess K. writes about health, beauty and lifestyle tips for Kass Clinics in Minneapolis, MN.